Permanent Account Number – PAN
This post is intended for first time salary earners and people getting introduced to income tax. So if you’re already a tax payer you may already know this information.
Permanent account number or PAN is a unique identification account provided by the Indian Income Tax Department, issued across the country under the Income Tax Act 1961. The 10 digit alphanumeric number also serves as proof of identity.
The Central Board for Direct Taxes supervises and monitors the entire activity pertaining to the PAN card. The Indian Government also issues the card to foreign nationals, as it is not a proof for nationality.
Possession of the card helps the authorities to monitor the cash transactions. It is also important for opening bank account, receiving taxable income, payment of professional fees, sale and purchase of assets etc.
PAN card is a universal identification number for all monetary transactions. It prevents tax evasion and offers credible sources to the government to monitor the inflow and outflow of the money.
The account is valid for lifetime and remains the same. Any change in the address does not affect the status. You are eligible to pay tax, if any, from any state within India.
The purpose is to monitor the financial transactions and therefore, change of employment and address for communication does not affect its persistence.
- Physical Appearance
The card size is of the standard bankcard and made from plastic. The card displays the photo of the account holder, date of birth and a hologram as a security element.
You have to be very careful about the hologram. It displays the symbol of the IT department. If you can see it, then you own an original card issued by the Government of India. You can even apply for minors.
Its application is through UTI-ITSL and no photo of the minor is available on the card. The cards issued before 2001 were on laminated paper with unrecognizable photo.
Although the cards are valid, account holders can reprint the same on the plastic card by paying a nominal fee of Rs. 105/-.
- The importance of PAN card
It is mandatory to possess the permanent account number to file taxes, tax deduction at source, opening new bank accounts (without transaction limitations), purchase of foreign currency, purchase or sale of immovable properties etc.
Therefore, it is important that you apply for the account today. If you are starting your career, then it is important to own the number, as the company will calculate the taxes that you need to pay to the government and deduct the same from your annual salary.
The deducted amount will appear in your permanent account. It will help you to track the payments that you make to the government.
- Guidelines to apply for a new PAN
Many people do not understand the procedure involved in applying for a PAN. If you are one among them, continue to read the following, which explain in detail about the online application procedure.
- The application form 49A is available from the NSDL website.
- The form contains the necessary details of the application.
- It is important to fill all the entries.
- Rectify for spellings and other details before submitting the form.
- The website displays a confirmation sheet on the next screen. It will contain the details as entered by the applicant during the filing.
- At this stage, it is possible to edit or confirm for the next procedure.
- Upon confirmation, acknowledgment will display on the screen. The acknowledgment contains a unique 15-digit number.
- Applicants have to print the acknowledgment and save it for future references.
- Individual applicants should affix two recent color photographs (3.5 cm x 2.5 cm) in the column provided in the acknowledgement. Use gum to paste the photographs. The quality of the image on the card depends on the quality of the photographs.
- Left hand thumb impression/signature within the box provided for the same. Applicants should only sign in the box provided on the right side but not across the pasted photograph. There should be no signature on the photograph or any mark. Applications with signature on the photograph are invalid.
Signature/Left, hand thumb impression should be across the photo in the box provided on the left side of the acknowledgement. It should be such that half of the signature is on the photo while the remaining is on the paper.
- If used, thumb impression, should be attested by Notary Public or Gazetted Officer or Magistrate with their official stamp and seal.
- If the communication address is
- Within India – the processing fee is Rs. 105/- (including taxes).
- Outside India – the processing fee is Rs. 971/- (including all taxes + dispatch charges).
- Within India – Demand Draft, Cheque, Credit/Debit Card and Net Banking
- Outside India – Credit Card or Debit Card and Demand Draft is payable at Mumbai.
- Call PAN/TDS Call Center at 020 – 27218080
- Fax: 020 – 27218080
- Payment mode:
- The dispatch of the card for outside India is available for selected countries. It is important to check for the list before applying for the card. For other countries, applicants should contact NSDL to the following contacts:
- Email at: [email protected]
- Demand draft and Cheques are in favor of “NSDL – PAN”.
- Applicants should write their acknowledgement number on the reverse of the demand draft or Cheque. Demand draft is payable at Mumbai only.
- Applicants paying the amount by Cheque have to deposit a local cheque (drawn on any bank) with HDFC branch across the country (except Dahej). Applicants have to mention NSDLPAN on the deposit slip.
- Applicants using credit/debit card to make the payment will have to pay additional charge of upto 2% charged by the transaction gateway provider. The card-issuing bank charges additional conversion/exchange fees, as prevailing rates.
- Applicants using Net Banking facility will have to pay Rs 4.00 + Service tax to the payment gateway facility.
- After successful payment, the system generates confirmed acknowledgement. Applicants have to save and print and send to NSDL as mentioned below:
- The acknowledgement print out, duly signed with photograph affixed along with Demand Draft, if any, and proof of identity, proof of address (individuals, Body of Individuals, HUFs, Associated of Persons & Artificial Juridical Person shall mention and provide proof of address as stated in the application) and proof of birth is to be sent to ‘Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016’.
- Super scribe the envelope with ‘APPLICATION FOR PAN – Acknowledgement Number’ (e.g. ‘APPLICATION FOR PAN – 888811155512345’)
- The application form along with the necessary documents should reach NSDL within 15 days from the date of online application.
- Applications with demand draft and cheque as mode of payment are subject to realization of payment.
- Guidelines for Re-issue of Lost/Damaged PAN Card
If you have lost your PAN card or damaged, you can still apply online for a new card. As the account number is unique, you will receive a new card with the same account number printed on the new card. You do not have to feel relentless or troubled due to loss of PAN card. The following are the guidelines for applying for lost/damaged PAN card:
- Visit the website of the Income Tax Pan Services Unit. https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/
- The homepage displays the needed options. You can see different services such as New PAN for Indian Citizens, Reprint of PAN card, New PAN for Foreign Citizens, Transaction Status Enquiry, Changes or Corrections in PAN details and Status Track for PAN application.
- Choose ‘Reprint of PAN card’ and fill the 49A application form with relevant details.
- Submit the form and save the acknowledgment slip. Print the acknowledgment slip.
- Ensure that you know the PAN number. It is important, as you have to enter the details and affix proof of issuance.
- Proof of issuance includes old PAN card copy, PAN allotment letter and FIR Copy.
- Make the submission and pay the necessary fees. Submit the acknowledgment duly filled with relevant documents and sent to NSDL-PAN services unit within 15 days.
PAN or permanent account number is an essential account for all transaction needs. The Indian Income Tax Department issues the card and monitors the activities of high worth net individuals.
It prevents tax evasions and ensures that the government receives taxes from the citizens. Applying for PAN is simple and requires you to spend a little time on the internet. The official website of NSDL contains the official 49A form.
Filing the form, making the payment and submitting the relevant documents within 15 days from the date of online submission entitle you to PAN.